- Donate funds using the secure server of GiveNow.com.
- Donate second hand items such as textbooks, calculators and computers.
Embrace has deductible gift recipient (DGR) status meaning that any funds contributed over the value of $2 are tax deductible.
The easiest way to donate is via our secure online page hosted by OurCommunity's GiveNow servers. All donations over $2 made at our OurCommunity page are secure and tax-deductible. 100% of all funding received (excluding any credit card charges) goes towards providing textbooks and calculators to disadvantaged high-school students.
The students we assist with textbooks and calculators are largely those participating in our Individual tutoring program, which provides free private tuition and mentoring to students from refugee and other diverse backgrounds, or students who have been identified through disadvantaged schools that we work with. Many students lack the basic necessities to succeed in their studies, for example textbooks for VCE subjects or graphics calculators for subjects where they can't be done without such as Maths Methods.
Your donation ensures that where we are unable to provide an item second hand, students do not miss out on the use of a calculator or textbook during their high-schooling, and therefore supports them through their studies. We make every effort to re-use purchased books at the end of each year or when the student is no longer in need of them.
To donate please visit........
As a non-profit organisation Embrace Education is very grateful for any assistance we receive from the community. We are open to anything from skills you can offer, items you can offer, monetary donations or anything else that may enable us to provide further assistance to students in need.
UNFORTUNATELY OUR STORAGE HAS REACHED CAPACITY AND WE CANNOT CURRENTLY ACCEPT NEW DONATIONS UNTIL STORED GOODS HAVE BEEN MOVED ONTO NEW HOMES. PLEASE CHECK BACK HERE IN EARLY MARCH 2011 TO SEE IF WE ARE READY TO TAKE MORE DONATIONS.
ALTERNATIVELY EWB (see below) AND THE BROTHERHOOD OF ST LAURENCE (see http://www.brotherhoodbooks.org.au/) ALSO ACCEPT TEXTBOOKS.
Sorry but we are not able to accept items from outside Melbourne, Victoria.
Embrace only accepts high-school texts. Generally we do not accept university text books.
- Desktop computers and laptops. If you have an old computer or laptop that you no longer need, we desperately need them! Having home access to a computer, even a second-hand one, can make such a difference to a student.
- Text-books and study-guides. Students we work with are often in need of high-school textbooks and study guides. Due to limited storage space, we cannot accept all textbooks which we are offered. Please see below for information about the sorts of books and study guides we are currently accepting. Used Cambridge Checkpoints books are always in high-demand!
Year Level: 7 to 12 (unfortunately we do not accept University texts)
Subjects: Generally any Victorian high-school based texts including VCE texts, English/ESL texts, dictionaries and Atlases. There are some subject areas which we are currently not accepting due to a lack of demand. We are not currently accepting Language books (e.g. French/Italian texts etc)
Condition: Books must be in a useable condition, i.e. all text legibile, minimal graffiti, no missing pages
Year/Edition: Generally we only accept donations that are less than 5 years old, and/or are no more than one edition out of date. However some items such as study guides may still be useful if they are a bit older.
Thank-you, helping provide donations that meet these criteria help us to sort, distribute and make use of the books we receive. Books that don't meet these criteria may need to be recycled, if we don't believe we can use them.
- Stationery such as pens, exercise books, basic calculators, bags etc. As simple as these items sound, the unfortunate reality is that many students do not have these essentials. If you have any old exercise books with unused pages or ancient calculators, don't throw them away in the garbage! Pass them on to us and we'll make great use of them!
If you have any items to donate, here's what to do:
Send an e-mail to donations[at]embrace-education.org. Be sure to include in the e-mail your name, what items you have to donate, your suburb, and a contact number. All details will be kept entirely confidential.
If you are interested in donating a computer, please let us know a bit more about it, such as its operating speed and how much RAM it has. If you do not know how to find this information, we would greatly appreciate it if you could tell us what year the computer was purchased and the operating sytem that it uses (e.g. Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98 etc).
Within 2-3 days, you will receive a return e-mail or phone call from Embrace to discuss the delivery/pick-up arrangement. Please expect a short delay during University holiday periods.
Embrace wishes to sincerely thank all those who have made a donation!